Merv Griffin’s Crosswords: We begin this day with Gregor Turley (a Texas copy editor) and Ellen Clifford (a Missouri performer).
Gregor’s off to a good start with $350 and a mini-vacation to San Diego. But Ellen controls the first Extra with -$50. Her wager is $300 on the following:
S _ _ _ _ _
Clue: Blackboards. She guesses SLATES…and she’s now $250 on the good side! At the end of the round, Gregor has $600 while Ellen has $350.
Today’s Spoilers are Daniel, Cathy and Mort.
1. (Five letters)- Pennsylvania sect. Gregor goes with AMISH…he now has $800!
2. (_ _ _ _ _ _ _ I O _)($300)- A flock of larks. Daniel rings in at the last second to try and spoil but quickly fails, so he’s DQed for now. It was EXHALTATION.
3. (Three-letter word)($100)- Stake in the grass? Gregor believes it’s a PEG…but that’s incorrect. To steal his leading podium, Cathy says TEE…correct to put the other mini-vacation in that bank, this time to Palm Springs. Daniel’s back in it.
4. (_ _ _ _ E)- Get ____ of one’s own medicine. Ellen’s in first with A DOSE…right to go to $550.
5. (_ _ _ _ E)- Russell’s “Cinderella Man”. Cathy goes with RENEE…as in Renee Zellwegger, that’s correct to hit the grand mark!
6. (_ _ _ E D)- Not approved. Total Stumper- it was NIXED.
7. (Nine letters)($300)- With “meemies”, extreme nervousness. Cathy guesses SCREAMING…she scores, taking her to $1,300!
8. (R _ _ _)- Buggy driver’s control. Ellen comes up with REIN…up to $750 she goes.
9. (_ _ I _)- Brickell or Sedgwick. Cathy comes up with the common name, EDIE, to go to $1,500!
10. (_ _ N _)- Serve the suds. Ellen rings in with TEND…that’s a good guess to go to $950!
11. (_ _ _ _ E _ E D)($300)- Used rebates and coupons. Cathy nails REDEEMED to jump to $1,800!
12. (_ _ _ D _ _)- Like vinegar or grapefruit juice. Ellen takes a shot with ACIDIC…she’s now in four figures at $1,150!
13. (_ _ _ R)- Brand of daminozide that was once on your apples. Cathy believes it’s AGAR…incorrect. To steal her lead, Mort instead says ALAR…that’s the right spelling.
14. (_ A _ A)- Gas grill rock. Mort gets LAVA to hit the two large mark as he finds the second Extra of the day! He bets 1/4th of the bank, $500:
V _ _ E _
In a pique. After a few seconds, he guesses VEXED…that’s $2,500!
16. (L _ _)($100)- Escape, as from jail. Ellen answers LAM…right for $1,250.
17. (Five-letter word)- Language exams? Ellen believes they’re ORALS…they are for $1,450!
18. (_ O _ _)- Big kahuna, around the office. Mort knows that’s the BOSS to head to $2,700!
19. (S _ _ _ _ _)- Twisted about, as a path. Ellen is wrong with SNAKED sans the A. Gregor then spells SNAKED correctly to steal her $1,450 as the round ends.
1. (_ A _ A _ _ _ _ _ _)($300)- Animated film with the voices of Ben Stiller and Chris Rock. Gregor says RATATOUILE…but I’m afraid it’s actually MADAGASCAR, so he’s down to $1,150.
2. (Four-letter word)- Largest species of the dolphin family. To get her lead back. Cathy says ORCA…yes for $2,900!
3. (_ _ R _ _)- Reverend Moon’s homeland. Cathy answers KOREA…that’s $3,100 for her now!
4. (_ E _ _ _)- Products at a charcuterie. Cathy thinks the food is BEEFS…with the extra S, that is not a word, so she’s automatically wrong. Mort then sticks with the same idea and says MEATS…right to steal her stash.
5. (S _ _ _)- Reason to bring out the chains. Gregor says that reason is SNOW…he’s back to $1,350.
6. (_ A _ _ N _)- Job for a cook’s helper, or downsizing. For his first spoil, Daniel says PARING…as in a pair of knives, he’s right for $3,300!
7. (G _ _ _ _ _)- Colonel Sanders’ trademark facial hair. Gregor thinks he’s right with GOATEE…yes indeed for $1,550 and the chance at the day’s last Extra! He goes ALL IN. To stay alive:
E _ _ _
The clue is: Key word in a conditional statement. He says ELSE…
E L S E
…he’s still in it with $3,100!
9. (_ _ _ _ L)- Crustaceans often filtered from seawater. To tie, Gregor says GRILL…YES!
10. (_ _ _ S)- They’re coming out. Ellen tries to spoil for the lead with DEBS…she now has $3,500 and the trips!
11. (_ _ _ _ W A R D)($300)- Noted co-employee of Carl Bernstein. For the lead, Gregor says WOODWARD…GOT IT for $3,600! Here comes the last clue of the game:
O _ _ _
Clue: Treat with round parts on both sides.
At the last second, Gregor gets OREO for the win at $3,800!
Crossfire: If Gregor can fill in the remaining 26 blanks, he’ll have $5,800 and a trip to Puerto Rico…he doesn’t quite do it.
Catch 21: We wrap up the second week with:
Nicole (L.A.)- GM of a Beverly Hills restaurant
Jevin Smith (L.A.)- DJ
Daniel (North Hills, CA)- Video editor
NICOLE: 6 OF CLUBS
JEVIN: 2 OF HEARTS
DANIEL: 9 OF HEARTS
1. If you can’t decide between espodrills and slingbacks, what are you shopping for?
JEVIN: Bras- NO
NICOLE: Shoes- RIGHT (100)
CARD: 3 OF DIAMONDS; KEEPS IT (9)
2. According to Glamour, women eat 23% more food when they’re what?
JEVIN: Depressed- CORRECT (100)
CARD: 4 OF CLUBS; KEEPS IT (6)
3. Photographer Anne Getties is known for her unique depictions of what?
DANIEL: Babies- RIGHT (100)
CARD: 10 OF HEARTS; FREEZES AT 19
4. Which is the southernmost state capital in the U.S.?
JEVIN: Honolulu- RIGHT (200)
CARD: KING OF HEARTS; KEEPS IT (16)
5. Before she married “The Gipper”, whom did former First Lady Nancy Reagan date?
A: Charlton Heston
B: Clark Gable
C: Richard Nixon
JEVIN: Clark Gable- RIGHT AGAIN (300)
CARD: 5 OF HEARTS; WINS AT 21 (800)
NICOLE: 2 OF CLUBS
JEVIN: 3 OF HEARTS
DANIEL: 4 OF DIAMONDS
We’ve got a straight across the board to begin, but straights don’t count around here.
1. Fashion designer Isaac Misraki caused a stir when he groped which actresses’ breasts at the 2006 Golden Globes?
A: Uma Thurman
B: Scarlett Johansson
C: Penolope Cruz
NICOLE: Scarlett Johansson- CORRECT (200)
CARD: QUEEN OF CLUBS; KEEPS IT (12)
2. Why should you put bowls of beer in your garden?
A: Attract bees
B: Kill snails
C: For gardener
NICOLE: Kill snails- RIGHT AGAIN (300)
CARD: 7 OF CLUBS; FREEZES AT 19
3. Jack Nicholson once told “Vanity Fair” that it’s OK to lie to whom?
DANIEL: Shrink- NO
JEVIN: Girlfriend- YES (900)
CARD: 2 OF SPADES; KEEPS IT (5)
4. According to Glamour.com, 41% of men say they would know whether or not they want to sleep with a woman after meeting her?
A: 10 minutes
B: End of first date
C: After a few dates
JEVIN: 10 minutes- WRONG
DANIEL: End of first date- RIGHT (200)
CARD: ACE OF DIAMONDS; PASSES TO JEVIN (6 or 16)
5. Julia Roberts was referring to what co-star when she threatened, “If he puts his tongue in my mouth one more time, I’m walking off the set”?
A: Hugh Grant
B: Alec Baldwin
C: Nick Nolte
DANIEL: Hugh Grant- NO
JEVIN: Nick Nolte- RIGHT (1,000)
CARD: 6 OF HEARTS; KEEPS IT (12)
6. The wedding music we call “Here Comes the Bride” is actually taken from what?
A: Hebrew song
B: Wagner opera
C: Medieval Funeral March
DANIEL: Medieval Funeral March- INCORRECT
JEVIN: Wagner opera- RIGHT (1,100)
CARD: ACE OF CLUBS; PASSES TO DANIEL (5 or 15)
7. This year, New York’s Kennedy Airport announced it was giving at least 500 terminal employees training on what?
A: Help people remove shoes
B: Lose weight
C: Be nice
JEVIN: Help people remove shoes- NO WAY
DANIEL: Be nice- YOU BET (300)
CARD: 7 OF SPADES; KEEPS IT (12)
8. You could lose 75% of what organ in your body and have it regenerate yourself?
JEVIN: Kidney- WRONG AGAIN
DANIEL: Liver- RIGHT AGAIN (400)
CARD: 10 OF SPADES, BUSTING JEVIN
CARD #9: 5 OF DIAMONDS (17)
CARD #10: 8 OF DIAMONDS; ELIMINATED (Nicole now has 800)
NICOLE: 10 OF DIAMONDS
JEVIN: 10 OF HEARTS
1. This year, a dog named Uno became the first dog of which breed to win Best in Show at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show?
C: Bassett Hound
JEVIN: Beagle- YOU BET
CARD: 8 OF HEARTS; FREEZES AT 18
NICOLE: CARD #2: 8 OF SPADES (18)
FINAL CARD: 6 OF DIAMONDS; JEVIN WINS!
Super Catch 21: Two Power Chips to work with.
HAND #1: 10 OF SPADES
HAND #2: 9 OF CLUBS
HAND #3: 2 OF HEARTS
CARD #1: 9 OF DIAMONDS; PLACES IN HAND #3 (11)
CARD #2: 2 OF DIAMONDS; PLACES IN HAND #2 (11)
CARD #3: 4 OF SPADES; CHANGES IT
CARD #4: ACE OF SPADES; HAND #1 CLEARED ($1,000)
CARD #5: 10 OF CLUBS; HAND #2 CLEARED ($5,000)
Before this round started, he wasn’t in the best of shape. Now, for the second time this week, we’re one hand away from our first $25,000 winner. He has a change chip with him. If this next card is a 10 or face card, everything is his…
CARD #6: 8 OF CLUBS
…not yet, so he changes that. One more chance…
CARD #7: QUEEN OF DIAMONDS
…HE JUST WON $25,000!!! He’s taking home 26 grand as a result! I want to dedicate the big win to Steve Beverly, who just spent his last day on TVGameshows.net! God bless him on the rest of his life.
(Interesting note: The past two new GSN game shows that have debuted, including "Catch 21", both had their first big win on their tenth episode.)