Merv Griffin’s Crosswords: We begin today with Tom (an IT assistant from Michigan) and Sheryl Bernstein (a voiceover narrator from NY).
As soon as Tom gets VISOR, he’s up to $450 and places a mini vacation to Laguna Beach, CA in his bank. When Tom hit’s the $750 mark, he finds the Extra and wagers 1/3 of that figure:
_ _ A _ S
Natives of San’a. He can’t get ARABS, so he drops to $500, and that’s how he ends the round. Sheryl’s down to $100.
Today’s Spoilers are Jeff, Angela and John.
1. (Five-letter word)- Natural pump outlet. Angela tries to spoil but blanks, locking her out of the game for now. It was AORTA.
2. (Five-letter word)- Knucklehead. Sheryl says WACKO…nice thought, but it’s actually MORON, so she’s now $100 in the hole.
3. (Three-letter word)($100)- When repeated, a young child’s supper. Tom gets DIN to go to $600.
4. (Three-letter word)($100)- What swabbies swab with. Tom gets MOP to go back to $700.
5. (O _ _)($100)- Hardly born yesterday. Sheryl is right with OLD to go back to zero and place a mini vacation to S.F. in her bank.
6. (_ _ L _ _ _ _ _)($300)- Anti-itch lotion. Sheryl says CALOMINE…I’m afraid she just missed it, so she’s now $300 in the hole. Tom spells CALAMINE correctly to hit the $1,000 mark.
7. (M A _ _ _)- It’s on the parson’s parcel. John goes for the spoil but has the same fate as Angela. It was MANCE.
8. (Three letters)($100)- Thomas Dolby hit, “___ Blinded Me with Science”. Tom fills the blank in with SHE…and he now has $1,100!
9. (Five-letter word)- Skywalker’s companion? Sheryl tries to spell ROOKY, then WOOKY, but runs out of time; she would’ve been wrong on either one anyway. It was FORCE, so she’s now at -$500.
10. (Five-letter word)- Buick model befitting a king? Tom rings in but has nothing, giving Jeff a free chance to spoil, and he gets REGAL to steal his winnings!
11. (_ _ L _ _)- Region famous for the blues. To get his podium back, Tom says DELTA…right for $1,300!
12. (_ _ _ _ _ T)- Actor’s reference. To get his podium back, Jeff says SCRIPT…$1,500! And here comes Extra #2; he wagers $700.
S _ _ _ _ _ _
One way to pitch, or a pistol. He says SLIDER, but that’s a letter short. It wasn’t SHOTGUN as I thought; it was SIDEARM. In any event, he’s down to $800.
14. (Five-letter word)- Singer’s asset. Sheryl says VOICE…wrong again, dropping her to -$700. Jeff blanks out, giving John a chance to steal the lead. He says PITCH…I don’t think so. Tom can’t give an answer, giving Angela a free chance with TUNES…no. It was RANGE, meaning Jeff drops to $600.
15. (Five-letter word)- Smooth gem surface. Sheryl guesses FACET…this time, she’s right to go back to -$500 as this round ends.
1. (Five-letter word)- Extort money from. Sheryl says STEAL, which is wrong to put her back at -$700. It was BLEED.
2. (Five letters)- A couple of words meaning “conclude with”. Sheryl is wrong again with AND SO, but maybe she’s playing some strategy here. John tries to steal her podium with END UP…incorrect. Angela pretty much blanks, so Sheryl is now down to -$900. It was END ON.
3. (Three letters)($100)- Carry on, as a trade. Sheryl says PLY…she’s back at -$800.
4. (_ _ _ _ P)- It’s usually stuck in a corner. Sheryl gives a ZONK ANSWER OF THE WEEK NOMINEE with DUNCE; too bad they didn’t have a Dunce cap in the studio. It was STAMP, meaning she’s now a grand in the red.
5. (Four-letter word)- Supermarket section Health & Beauty ____. Sheryl says AIDS…she’s right to go back to -$800.
6. (_ _ I _ _)- Small glass container. Sheryl goes back to -$1,000 with another wrong answer of VIALS; answer was PHIAL.
7. (Four-letter word)- Consequently. Jeff finally rings in with ERGO…unfortunately, he’s wrong, dropping him to $400. It was THUS.
8. (Six-letter word)- Wood deck decay. Jeff guesses DRY ROT…this time, he’s right to go back to $600.
9. (_ _ D)($100)- Launch or crash site? Jeff easily gets PAD to go to $700.
10. (Three-letter word)($100)- “Fee __fo”. Sheryl spells FIE right to go to -$900 and get the last Extra of the game. Obviously, she bets the full grand. To go back to $100 on the good side, the clue to this five-letter answer is:
She says CADET…NO, so she’s all but out of the game now at -$1,900. It was LANCE.
12. (Three letters)($100)- Cubby hole? Tom gets DEN to get his lead back at $800!
13. (Four-letter word)- Like higher-ups in the Mafia. Tom goes with MADE…he’s right again to go to $1,000.
14. (Five-letter word)- Shopaholic’s indulgent episode. Tom says BINGE…NO. Sheryl says SPREE…right to go to -$1,700 and send Tom back to $800.
15. (Four-letter word)- Proficient and qualified. Sheryl goes with ABLE…right to move to $1,500 in the hole.
16. (Three letters)($100)- Latin 101 word with amas and amat. Sheryl rings in but blanks out, maybe for strategy. Jeff is right with AMO to maybe do her a favor.
Final clue (three letters for $100)- Side in checkers. To win, Tom says BAR…NO. John tries to win with RED…yes for $800 and the trip to Laguna Beach.
Crossfire: This hasn’t been a good game so far. If John can somehow fill in the remaining 24 blanks, he’ll add $2,000 and a trip to Cancun…no.
Catch 21: Another good week around here comes to a close with these players:
Anthony (originally from Iowa)- Cal State Northridge student
Steven Bailey (Houston)- Software developer who got here because he won a GSN.com contest
Tim Connolly (originally from Washington State)- Professional card player and the runner of former game show review site The Loogaroo Game Show Lair (I think)
OPENING CARDS IN ROUND 1:
ANTHONY: ACE OF SPADES
STEVEN: QUEEN OF CLUBS
TIM: 2 OF SPADES
1. Who did the CIA plot to kill with an exploding cigar?
STEVEN: Fidel Castro- RIGHT (100)
CARD: 10 OF CLUBS; FREEZES AT 20
2. Which of the following months has only 30 days?
TIM: April- CORRECT (100)
CARD: 7 OF SPADES; PASSES TO ANTHONY (8 or 18)
3. In their 1967 song, The Beatles sang "All you need is..."?
ANTHONY: Love- YOU BET (100)
CARD: KING OF HEARTS; PASSES TO TIM (12)
4. What is the name of country singer Tim McGraw's wife, who is also a country singer herself?
TIM: Faith- YOU BET (200)
CARD: 10 OF HEARTS, PASSED TO ANTHONY (18)
5. How many American presidents share the first name George?
ANTHONY: 3- RIGHT (200)
CARD: JACK OF SPADES, BUSTING TIM
CARD #6: JACK OF CLUBS- STEVEN WINS (600)
ROUND 2 STARTING CARDS:
ANTHONY: QUEEN OF HEARTS
STEVEN: 5 OF HEARTS
TIM: 4 OF SPADES
1. Which word commonly refers to a Japanese woman trained in the art of conversation?
TIM: Geisha- RIGHT (300)
CARD: ACE OF HEARTS; PASSES TO STEVEN (6 or 16)
2. Who was the first female Supreme Court justice?
TIM: Sandra Day O'Connor- RIGHT AGAIN (400)
CARD: 8 OF CLUBS; PASSES TO STEVEN (14)
3. The director of what movie said "Kill Mr. Big, I would've been chased around by women on torches"?
A: "Sex and the City"
B: "Iron Man"
C: "Casino Royale"
STEVEN: "Casino Royale"- NO
TIM: "Sex and the City"- THREE IN A ROW (500)
CARD: 9 OF CLUBS; BUSTS STEVEN
4. Which of these is the name of both a fruit and a bird?
TIM: Kiwi- TIE GAME (600)
CARD: 7 OF HEARTS; KEEPS IT (11)
5. What was the third movie in the "Lord of the Rings" called?
TIM: "The Return of the King"- FIVE IN A ROW (700)
CARD: 6 OF SPADES; PASSES TO ANTHONY (16)
6. Condoleeza Rice has an "esteema", meaning what?
A: Musical gift
B: Gap between her front teeth
C: Hybrid car
TIM: Musical gift- NO
ANTHONY: Gap between her front teeth- RIGHT (300); GOES ON
CARD: 9 OF DIAMONDS, PASSED TO TIM (20)
7. If you leave Hawaii and fly directly to Japan, which line do you cross?
TIM: International Date Line- RIGHT (800); FREEZES AT 20
If Anthony should win this round, Steven will be eliminated despite winning the first round.
CARD #8: 4 OF CLUBS (20)
FINAL CARD: QUEEN OF SPADES- ELIMINATED
STEVEN: 7 OF CLUBS
TIM: KING OF SPADES
1. Which of these is typically known as corkscrew pasta?
TIM: Fusilli- RIGHT
CARD: 3 OF HEARTS; PASSES TO STEVEN (TIED AT 10)
2. If Earl from "My Name is Earl" were an actual Earl, how would you properly address him?
A: My Lord
B: Your Majesty
C: Your Grace
STEVEN: My Lord- CORRECT
CARD: 8 OF HEARTS; PASSES TO TIM (18)
3. What member of the muscial duo Tenacious D is the lead voice in the movie "Kung Fu Panda"?
TIM: Jack Black- YOU BET; GOES ON
CARD: 3 OF HEARTS- WIN!!
Super Catch 21: Tim goes to the big show with two Power Chips to use...after using them both and after four turns total, here's what's on the board:
HAND #1: (QC)(5D) = 15
HAND #2: (2S)(8H) = 10
HAND #3: (10C)
CARD #5: QUEEN OF HEARTS; PLACES IN HAND #2 (20)
CARD #6: 3 OF HEARTS; PLACES IN HAND #1 (18)
CARD #7: 3 OF CLUBS; HAND #1 CLEARED ($1,000)
CARD #8: 10 OF DIAMONDS; PLACED IN HAND #3 (20)
He decides to stop with $2,000.
CARD #9: 5 OF HEARTS
Congratulations Tim on becoming a champion on a game show!