Merv Griffin’s Crosswords: This was the next episode taped after last Friday’s episode.
Today’s starting players are Andrew Jussett (a creative director from Massachusetts) and Jennifer Wallace (an Opera singer from Michigan).
After Jennifer starts off with -$150 by missing the first clue, Andrew gets the second clue for his first $50 and places a mini-vacation to Palm Springs in his bank. When Jennifer reaches $250 on the good side, she hits the day’s first Extra and wagers $500:
_ M _ _ _ _ _
Issue, as from a source. She can’t get EMINATE, so that positive next to the $250 turns back into a negative. At the end of the round, Andrew has $100 and Jennifer has -$150.
Today’s Spoilers are Kirven, Nan and John.
1. (Five-letter word)- Wails, as if in mourning. Andrew guesses KEENS…he triples up.
2. (_ _ _ _ N)- Spelling, the producer. Jennifer gets back to $50 by solving AARON.
3. (_ _ _ _ S)- Head lock? For the first spoil of the day, Nan says TRESS…right for $500!
4. (Four letters)- Martha in old denture ads. Jennifer says the last name is RAYE…it is to go to half of Nan’s score ($250).
5. (Y _ _)($100)- Band with the hit album, “Close to the Edge”. Jennifer says YES to get another one of those and move to $350.
6. (_ _ _ E _ _ _ _ _)($300)- In-bounds limits at Wimbledon. Jennifer says SIDELINES…incorrect, meaning she’s back at $50. Nan blanks, so Kirven can steal her $500, but he blanks as well, so Nan drops to $200. Answer: BASELINS.
7. (Five-letter word)- Part of SUV. Jennifer gets SPORT to go to $250 and take over the lead.
8. (_ _ T)($100)- Suffix denoting extremeness. Jennifer goes with IST…wrong. Nan barely beats the buzzer with EST…which is right to take the lead back at $300. Jennifer drops to $150.
9. (_ _ _ _ O)- Human trunk. Andrew gets TORSO for $500 and the lead back!
10. (Six-letter word)- More thickly packed. To get her podium back, Nan says DENSER…$700!
11. (D _ _)($100)- Bear spot that’s neither empty nor bald. Jennifer goes with the DEN…right for $250.
12. (_ N _ _ _)- Al , the racing legend. Jennifer’s right again with UNSER, taking her to $450 as the second Extra of the day appears. She bets $250. To tie the game:
E _ _ _
Award for “60 Minutes”. She gets EMMY to tie it up!
14. (_ M _ _ _)- Ruin calligraphy. Jennifer answers SMEAR…she’s the leader again with $900!
15. (_ Y _ _ _)- Model Beckford. Nan is wrong with TYLER; Kirven gets TYSON to steal her $700.
16. (Five letters)- Holliman and Grey. Jennifer says they’re both EARLS…they are to go to $1,100! That ends the round.
1. (_ _ L)($100)- Kalamazoo lass. Jennifer gets the GAL to move to $1,200!
2. (_ _ _ A)- Opera with elephants. She’s right again with AIDA for $1,400!
3. (_ _ _ _ _ I _ G _)($300)- Keith or Danny, on classic TV. Jennifer answers with PARTRIDGE…that’s the right spelling for $1,700!
4. (_ _ R _ _)- Discontinue, as a project. For her third spoil, Nan says SCRAP…yes for $1,900!
5. (_ _ A _ _)- Silly, or lacking sense. Kirven’s guess is INANE…right to go to $900.
6. (Five letters)- A-one, or one living in 1-A? John tries to spoil for the first time with FIRST…but he’s incorrect. It was SUPER.
7. (Three letters)($100)- Spacebar neighbor. Nan says that’s the TAB…but it’s not. Kirven then tries ESC…not it either, so he’s down to $800. Andrew can’t spoil, so Nan drops to $1,800. It was ALT.
8. (Seven letters)($300)- “Rhoda” star Harper. Nan tries VALERIE…that’s the first name we needed, so she’s at $2,100!
9. (Three letters)($100)- Member of the sales force. Nan gets REP to move to $2,200! And she gets the last Extra of the day. Her wager is $1,000 on a three-letter answer. The clue:
She became a Spanish queen by marrying Alfonso XIII.
She drops to $1,200 because she blanks. It was ENA.
11. (Three letters)($100)- Unlatch, poetically. Kirven goes with OPE…right to go back to $900.
12. (Four letters)- Haitian president from 1996-2001, Preval. To get within $100 of the lead, Kirven says AMIN…NO. It was RENE, so he’s down to $700.
13. (Three-letter word)($100)- 1993 Pacino crime drama, “Carlito’s ___”. Kirven gets $100 back with WAY, so he’s back at $800.
14. (Five-letter word)- These four can be a problem for people when spelling Mississippi. Kirven guesses ESSES…right to go to a thousand!
15. (Three-letter word)($100)- Seafood-loving shore bird. He says ERN…right for $1,100!
Final clue (nine letters)($300)- Rooms with changing tables. For the lead, Jennifer says RESTROOMS…NO, it was NURSERIES, so Nan wins the game and $1,200!
Crossfire: 18 blanks stand between Nan from going to Puerto Rico with $3,200...she doesn’t quite make it.
Catch 21: Episode #23's players are:
Jason (originally from NYC; not Jason Block. So sorry)- Mechanical engineer and UCLA graduate student
Tahera Smith- District sales manager for a software company
Eric Brill- University of Milwaukee Wisconsin student and a fan of this show's online game at GSN.com
OPENING CARDS IN ROUND 1:
JASON: 4 OF HEARTS
TAHERA: 10 OF HEARTS
ERIC: JACK OF HEARTS
1. In 2004, what did Britney Spears enjoy for 55 hours in Vegas?
A: Blackjack winning streak
B: Longest stage performance
C: First marriage
ERIC: Blackjack winning streak- NO WAY
TAHERA: First marriage- YES INDEED (100)
CARD: KING OF DIAMONDS; FREEZES AT 20
2. On "Curb Your Enthusiasm", who plays self-absorbed Larry David?
JASON: Larry David- RIGHT (100)
(That was a Stupid Question in my book. "Jeopardy!", anyone?)
CARD: 2 OF CLUBS; PASSES TO ERIC (12)
3. Which of these men has appeared on the cover of Playboy?
A: Steve Martin
B: Bill Murray
C: Robin Williams
ERIC: Steve Martin- CORRECT (100)
CARD: 8 OF DIAMONDS; PASSES TO JASON (12)
4. Which of the following people attended the London School of Economics?
C: Mick Jagger
ERIC: Sting- NO
JASON: Mick Jagger- RIGHT (200)
CARD: 5 OF HEARTS; PASSES TO ERIC (17)
5. According to a Glamour Magazine poll, 7% of women have done what during sex?
A: Faked it
B: Fallen asleep
C: Their nails
ERIC: Faked it- NO WAY
JASON: Fallen asleep- RIGHT AGAIN (300)
CARD: 7 OF CLUBS; BUSTS ERIC
CARD #6: 8 OF SPADES (20)
FINAL CARD: KING OF HEARTS; TAHERA WINS (600)
ROUND 2 OPENING CARDS:
JASON: 7 OF DIAMONDS
TAHERA: 2 OF DIAMONDS
ERIC: 8 OF CLUBS
1. Which of these is NOT a U.S. federal holiday?
A: Columbus Day
B: Lincoln's Birthday
TAHERA: Lincoln's Birthday- YOU BET (700)
CARD: ACE OF DIAMONDS; PASSES TO ERIC (9 or 19)
2. Who played Chandler's dad on "Friends"?
JASON: Kathleen Turner- RIGHT (400)
CARD: 10 OF DIAMONDS; PASSES TO TAHERA (12)
3. What magazine publishes an annual list called "The 100 Most Influential People in the World"?
TAHERA: People- NO
JASON: Time- YES (500)
CARD: 2 OF HEARTS; TAKES IT (9)
4. Which hair style was made famous by Elvis Presley?
C: Flat top
ERIC (before even hearing the question!): Caesar- ZONK ANSWER OF THE WEEK NOMINEE
TAHERA: Pompadour- RIGHT (800)
CARD: 3 OF CLUBS; PASSES TO ERIC (12)
5. With rooms made of ice, the famous Ice Hotel is rebuilt every Winter and melts every Spring; where is it located?
JASON: Sweden- RIGHT (600)
CARD: 5 OF CLUBS; PASSES TO TAHERA (17)
6. Which of these composers was immortalized in the movie "Amadeus"?
JASON: Mozart- RIGHT AGAIN (700)
CARD: 4 OF DIAMONDS; PASSES TO ERIC (16)
At this point, the best thing that can happen to Eric is that he forces only the second post-Round 2 tiebreaker on this show. We'll see if it happens.
7. According to Sunset Magazine, sprinkling what kitchen item in your garden can add nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil?
A: Baking powder
B: Bread crumbs
C: Coffee grinds
JASON: Baking powder
ERIC: Coffee grinds- CORRECT (200)
If this next card is a 5, we're going to a tiebreaker.
CARD: 8 OF HEARTS; BUSTS TAHERA
We've just set a record for questions asked in a round.
8. What comedienne has impersonated everyone from Renee Zellwegger to David Beckham on her TV series "State of the Union"?
JASON: Tracy Ullman- RIGHT (800)
If this next card is higher than a 5, Eric's finally going home.
CARD: 10 OF SPADES; ERIC ELIMINATED AND JASON WINS
JASON: 3 OF HEARTS
TAHERA: 6 OF HEARTS
1. What would you be getting if you made an appointment with an esthetician?
JASON: Facial- RIGHT
CARD: QUEEN OF SPADES; PASSES TO TAHERA (16)
2. In what show did Taylor Hicks make his Broadway debut?
C: "On Golden Pond"
JASON: "On Golden Pond"- NO
TAHERA: "Grease"- RIGHT; FREEZES AT 16 (wha?)
CARD #3: QUEEN OF HEARTS (13)
CARD #4: 10 OF CLUBS; TAHERA'S RISK PAYS OFF!
Super Catch 21: With two Power Chips...here's what on the board after her first two turns:
HAND #1: QUEEN OF DIAMONDS
HAND #2: (6C)(4S) = 10
HAND #3: (AS)(JC) = CLEARED
CARD #3: 6 OF SPADES; CHANGES IT
CARD #4: JACK OF SPADES; CHANGES IT
CARD #5: 5 OF DIAMONDS; PLACES IT IN HAND #2 (15)
CARD #6: 9 OF SPADES; PLACED IN HAND #1 (19)- STOPS
She's two grand richer.
CARD #7: JACK OF DIAMONDS