Merv Griffin’s Crosswords: This is the second episode I’ve covering with the very first main game format (Episode #12). Our opening players are Alex Carcannon (a deputy district attorney from Colorado) and Linda Williamson (a California writer).
Nobody got to see the day’s first Extra, as neither came up with the right answer of BRAID on the clue of “Hair weave?” (the first Crossword Getaway also went unclaimed as well). At the end of the first round, Linda has $550 while Alex has $150.
Today’s Spoilers are Gwen, Erik and Sharon.
1. (Five-letter word)- Obey a comma. Linda goes with PAUSE…right to go to $750! She also places a mini-vacation to Pismo Beach, CA in her bank.
2. (_ _ _ _ _ S)- Ocean predators of WWII. Alex says they’re UBOATS…they are for $350.
3. (_ _ _ U _ _ _ _)($300)- Right on the nose. Sharon totally misses it with NOSTRIL; it was ACCURATE.
4. (Five letters)- Film set on the spaceship Nostromo. Linda goes with ALIEN…yes for $950!
5. (Thirteen letters)($300)- Ward Cleaver and Mike Brady, e.g. Gwen attempts to spoil with SITCOM FATHERS…great guess, but that’s incorrect. It was FATHER FIGURES.
6. (Six letters)(Extra)- Like a small and slender dress. Nobody solves PETITE, so again we won’t play the Extra.
7. (Six-letter word)- What de class hates? Another stumper- it was DETEST.
8. (Five-letter word)- What four farthings amount to. Erik has a free shot at spoiling, but he blanks out. Answer: PENNY.
9. (Three letters)($100)- Word in the title of a charitable concert. Sharon tries FOR…incorrect, so she’s locked out for the second time today. It was AID.
10. (Another three-letter word)($100)- Pops on the farm? Gwen is wrong again with RAM, so she gets the same fate as Sharon did on the previous clue. Answer: PAS.
11. (Four-letter word)- Film in which Dustin Hoffman rescues people from a plane crash. Linda guesses HERO…got it for $1,150!
12. (_ _ _ _ _ R)- Dasher’s yokemate. Alex fits DANCER in there to go to $550.
13. (Five-letter word)- Medicine for what ails you. Alex says APPLE…I don’t think so, so he loses the $200 back. It was TONIC.
14. (Another five-letter word)- It can be icy or blank. Alex goes with STARE…he’s back at $550.
15. (A _ _ _ _)- How great minds think. Linda nails ALIKE to go to $1,350! That ends the round.
1. (Three letters)($100)- Giant’s first word? Alex misspells the right answer with FIE; Erik spoils with FEE to steal his $550.
2. (Three-letter word)($100)- Film featuring the character Chili Palmer, “___ Shorty”. Erik gets GET to go to $650.
3. (Four-letter word)- Triathlon vehicle. Gwen goes with BIKE for her first spoil…yes for $1,550!
4. (Four-letter word)- Ingredient in a Cuba libre. Erik goes with COLA…right for $850.
5. (Three letters)($100)- Obviously wasn’t brave. Gwen says HID…no, dropping her to $1,450. Answer: RAN.
6. (Five-letter word)- Military academy newbie. Erik goes with a PLEBE…right to take him to $1,050!
7. (Three letters)($100)- Wet stuff found in a trunk. Total Stumper- SAP.
8. (Another three-letter word)($100)- Burt Reynolds film, “Stroker ___”. Erik answers ACE as the second word…he now has $1,150!
9. (Another three-letter word)($100)- Last part of B.C.E. Linda tries to get her podium and lead back with a guess of ERA…correct for $1,550!
10. (Four-letter word)- With “The”, series starring Dennis Haysbert. Erik says the CBS show UNIT…right for $1,350; he’s now just $200 off the lead!
11. (Three-letter word)($100)- One who “Works Hard for the Money”. Linda gets the first word of SHE in that song title for $1,650!
12. (Yet another three-letter word)($100)- Render imperfect. Erik responds with MAR…he’s again behind by just $200!
13. (Five-letter word)- Tricks or stratagems. To tie the game, Erik answers PLOYS…NO. Linda blanks, so Sharon can spoil. She goes with PLOTS…incorrect. It was RUSES…and the game is over, so Linda wins $1,450 and the Pismo Beach trip in an extremely tight game!
Crossfire: All Ms. Williamson has to do is fill in 16 blanks to win a nice trip to Jamaica…despite a great start, she falls one blank short and gives the last correct answer a second too late! Darn. But she did give eight correct answers, giving her a final cash total of $2,250. With the Pismo Beach trip, she goes home with about $3,000 in cash and prizes.
Catch 21: We wrap up the fifth week with an all-male game. The players are:
Tom Wynn (California)- Head waiter at a steakhouse
John Dunn (San Diego)- Mop salesman
Greg Dire (San Clemente, CA)- Attorney
OPENING CARDS IN ROUND 1:
TOM: 9 OF CLUBS
JOHN: 10 OF SPADES
GREG: QUEEN OF DIAMONDS
Which of these horror icons is known for wearing a hockey mask?
A: Freddy Krueger
B: Michael Myers
C: Jason Voorhees
JOHN (before even hearing the question!): “Nightmare on Elm Street”- ZONK ANSWER OF THE WEEK NOMINEE
TOM: Jason Voorhees- RIGHT (100)
That’s the second time this week somebody has attempted to answer a question without even hearing it. I have a feeling somebody’s going to get one right this way.
CARD: QUEEN OF HEARTS; FREEZES AT 19
Who played the original “Tool Time” girl on the TV comedy “Home Improvement”?
A: Carmen Electra
B: Pamela Anderson
C: Denise Richards
JOHN (before even hearing the question AGAIN): Carmen Electra- ZONK ANSWER OF THE WEEK NOMINEE #2
GREG: Pamela Anderson- CORRECT (100)
So far, John Dunn is IMO the worst contestant I’ve seen so far on the show.
CARD: KING OF CLUBS; FREEZES AT 20
CARD #3: ACE OF HEARTS- UNBELIEVEABLE WIN (500)
If I were hosting this show, I would probably have had the same reaction Bob Barker had when a clueless girl named Joy won Ten Chances back in Spring 2006!
OPENING CARDS FOR ROUND 2:
TOM: 5 OF CLUBS
JOHN: 4 OF HEARTS
GREG: 5 OF HEARTS
Who did Time choose as its 2007 Person of the Year?
A: Al Gore
B: General Petraeus
C: Vladimir Putin
GREG: Vladimir Putin- RIGHT (200)
CARD: 8 OF HEARTS; PASSES TO JOHN (12)
What juice do the cocktails Tequila Sunrise and Fuzzy Navel have in common?
JOHN: BLANKS OUT (the double buzzer from “Shop Til’ You Drop” is used)
TOM: Orange juice- RIGHT (200)
CARD: 5 OF DIAMONDS; KEEPS IT (10)
The actor that plays the father-in-law on “The King of Queens” is what actor’s actual dad?
GREG: Ben Stiller- RIGHT (300)
CARD: JACK OF DIAMONDS; BUSTS JOHN
What is another name for China’s capital, Beijing (home of the ongoing 2008 Summer Olympics)?
B: PekingC: Taipei
GREG: Peking- RIGHT AGAIN (400)
CARD: 7 OF SPADES; PASSES TO TOM (17)
What Billy Joel song was inspired by his then-girlfriend and soon-to-be wife Christie Brinkley?
GREG: “Uptown Girl”- TIED FOR THE LEAD! (500)
If this next card is anything higher than a 4, he’ll face John in the Championship Round.
CARD: 2 OF SPADES; PASSES TO TOM (19)
Which of these U.S. federal holidays falls last in the calendar year?
A: Labor Day
B: Veterans Day
C: Columbus Day
GREG: Veterans Day- RIGHT FOR THE LEAD! (600)
If this next card is NOT an Ace or Deuce, he’s won this round.
CARD: KING OF DIAMONDS- WIN!
JOHN: 4 OF DIAMONDS
GREG: ACE OF SPADES
Well, already, we’ve got a good chance of John losing in this round. Will John ever get a question right on this show? We shall now find out.
10-year-old Tatum O’Neal became the youngest person…?
JOHN: “Paper Moon”- RIGHT!!
John got a question right! It’s a miracle!
CARD: ACE OF DIAMONDS; PASSES TO GREG (2 or 12)
In what type of restaurant would you order eta-momi?
JOHN: Argentinian- NO
GREG: Japanese- CORRECT
CARD: 2 OF CLUBS; PASSES TO JOHN (6)
This year, which of these authors revealed that she was writing a brief prequel to her best-selling “Harry Potter” book series?
A: Judy Blume
B: J.K. Rowling
C: Danielle Steel
GREG: J.K. Rowling- RIGHT AGAIN
CARD: 3 OF SPADES; PASSES TO JOHN (9)
What very pregnant singer posed nearly naked on the January 2008 cover of Marie Claire?
JOHN: Madonna- WRONG AGAIN
A: Christina Aguilera
B: Sheryl Crow
C: Gwen Stefani
GREG: Gwen Stefani- DOUBLE STUMPER (A: Christina Aguilera)
If you re-arrange your furniture in order to re-arrange the flow of…?
GREG: Fung shway- RIGHT
CARD: QUEEN OF SPADES; PASSES TO JOHN (19)
This year, researchers found substantial evidence that which was the site of an ancient royal burialgram?
A: Death Valley
B: Great Wall of China
JOHN: Stonehenge- RIGHT; FREEZES AT 19
CARD #5: 3 OF HEARTS (5 or 15)
CARD #6: 2 OF DIAMONDS (7 or 17)
CARD #7: 7 OF DIAMONDS (14)
CARD #8: 10 OF HEARTS; JOHN WINS
Super Catch 21: Well, folks, John Dunn, the guy who only got ONE question right the entire show, has somehow made it to the big time with two Power Chips in hand. He outta be happy that no questions will be asked this round.
HAND #1: 9 OF HEARTS
HAND #2: KING OF HEARTS
HAND #3: 7 OF SPADES
CARD #1: 2 OF SPADES; PLACED IN HAND #1 (11)
CARD #2: KING OF DIAMONDS; HAND #1 CLEARED ($1,000)
CARD #3: JACK OF HEARTS; PLACED IN HAND #3 (17)
CARD #4: 7 OF CLUBS; CHANGES IT
CARD #5: 7 OF HEARTS; CHANGES IT
CARD #6: 8 OF CLUBS; PLACED IN HAND #2 (18)
He decides to…stop. But could he have won more than $2,000?
CARD #7: 2 OF HEARTS; PLACED IN HAND #3
CARD #8: 3 OF CLUBS, WHICH WOULD HAVE CLEARED HAND #2
CARD #9: JACK OF SPADES
Yes, he could’ve won $5,000 in the endgame, and I had this feeling he had stopped too soon given his luck tonight. In any event, we have our first bad bailout on the show.