Sunday, October 26, 2008

YEAR 2 CLOSING THOUGHTS

Well, folks, this is the end of Game Show Kingdom's second season. Of my two years covering game/reality shows, the second year has by far been the best. There are quite a few reasons why.

First off, I'm a member of the Game Show Forum, and some fellow Game Show Forum members have read my blog, including former "The Price is Right" contestant Travis Eberle. For those readers who have never signed up for the Game Show Forum, you probably don't know that beginning about Spring 2005, I covered the entire "Street Smarts $100,000 Tournament" in the forum's Show Summaries section. Hence, when I started this site two years ago, I already had experience covering game shows. I was banned a year ago from posting in the forum's Show Summaries section, but I'll live with that.

Second, during the course of my second season, a TON of winning was done. In fact, during the course of my second year, a total of eight contestants each won at least $1,000,000 in cash and/or prizes on traditional game shows alone- five of them were female! Prior to Ashlee Register winning almost $1.8M on "Duel" in December 2007, no female had ever won at least $1 Million on a network traditional game show.

Third, my popularity has been growing. I started to really hit my stride while covering the first season finale of "Duel" back in December 2007, because I had done a big favor for a person out on the West Coast who had to miss the episode because of personal matters. From that month until May 2008, my popularity grew and grew, as contestants from several different game shows stopped by to post at least one comment on my blog. Some did well, like Bill Onieal and Steven Chai of "Wheel of Fortune" and Gabe Canape of "Pros vs. Joes", while others didn't (like Amy Reynaldo of "Merv Griffin's Crosswords" and Christopher Francis of "The Price is Right"). Even a few people from reality shows came to stop by, as well.

But the moment where my mother thought I had reached my peak in doing this blog was when I received a call from then GSN PR lady Cindy Ronzoni informing me that the network would be sending press releases to my family's E-mail account for future usage on this blog. As of October 10th, 2008, that has been the case, even though Ronzoni is no longer with the network.

At times while doing this blog, my mother teased me that nobody would ever read my blog. Well, needless to say, look how far I've come since I began this site. Once again, I would like to thank all of those people who have read my blog during my second year. By doing so, I have been friends with several people that I never thought I would come in contact with- Ms. Ronzoni, Crystal Williams, harveydjr, Andy Nguyen, Doc Holiday, whltquan and Diamond Dust. I would also like to once again thank the entire GSNN staff, Joe Capitano, and more importantly, Steve Beverly, for giving me the inspiration to do all of this while I'm finishing up college.

I would like to close the season on a personal note- in addition to dedicating this blog to those members of my family who have died the past few years (including my father) and those who died during the Virginia Tech shootings of April 2007, I would also like to dedicate this blog to a dog named Bandut. Of the dogs my family has taken care of the past several years, Bandut was the longest-living dog we ever had. A German Shepard/Beagle mix, he was always willing to protect my family from any other people that decided to visit my house, barking at any intruders. We had to give him up in October 2008 because of diabetes symptoms (which also lead to my father's fatal heart attack), and he wound up dying shortly thereafter. For those of you who have pets, please spay and neuter them for Bob Barker's sake and your own sake, and nourish them well, but don't let them eat way too much.

The third season begins tomorrow morning. Until then, God Bless America.

-Bobby McBride

No comments: