Tuesday, April 07, 2009

"American Idol" 4/7

As I said before, contestants this week have to sing songs from the years in which they were born.

1. Danny Gokey (1980): "Stand By Me" by Mickey Gilley

Randy didn't like the arrangement but he liked his vocals; Kara agreed. Paula liked the performance as well, and Simon thought only the middle part of the song was dull. My score: 8.

2. Kris Allen (1985): "All She Wants to Do Is Dance" by Don Henley

Kara thought it was too jazz funky, thus meaning the song lost some youth. Paula thought the performance was unique because it got changed up. Simon thought it was boring and thought the song choice was stupid; Randy agreed with Simon. I didn't like the arrangement either; I gave him a 6.

3. Lil' Rounds (1984): "What's Love Got to Do With It" by Tina Turner

Paula liked the attire but not the arrangement because she felt she didn't make her own niche. Everyone else agreed. I liked it, so I gave her a 7.

4. Anoop Desai (1986)- "True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper

Randy thought it was a very nice, controlled vocal, as did Kara. Paula thought the song choice was flawless and thought it was his best performance. Simon also thought it was very good. I gave him an 8.

5. Scott MacIntyre: (1985)- "The Search Is Over" by Survivor

Kara thought it was a very questionable and difficult song choice; she thought it was just OK. Paula and I both gave him credit for trying to step outside the comfort zone. Simon said Scott should go back to the piano next week and Randy agreed with Kara. I gave him a 7.

6. Allison Iraheta (1992)- "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt

Paula thought Allison gave a lot of heart in this performance. Simon liked it as well, but he still wanted to work out her personality. Randy said that she was as talkative as Kelly Clarkson when she was on the first season of this show. Kara thought it was a good, young rendition. I gave her an 8.

7. Matt Giraud (1985)- "Part-Time Lover" by Stevie Wonder

Randy thought it was one of the night's best performances. Kara thought it was incredible. Paula called for a standing ovation and Simon thought it was way better than last week.

8. Adam Lambert (1982)- "Mad World" by Tears for Fears

I didn't have time to watch any of his performance (therefore, I won't score his performance this week), but since he is Adam Lambert and he was the night's last act, he was probably good anyway.

No comments: