Silent Library: Today's team consists of Dave (Bronx), Dwayne (Rochester, NY), Rob (Bayonne, NJ), Virgil (Brooklyn), Patrick (Bayonne, NJ) & Ryan (Bridgewater, NJ).
1. "Cotton Spicy" is the first challenge of the day. Here, Patrick has 20 seconds to eat cotton candy with a lot of spices, including Cayenne peppers and chili powder.
RESULT: PASS ($300)
2. Ryan's challenge is called "Much Like Gas", where he has to come face-to-face with a foul-smelling whoopie cushion.
RESULT: PASS ($600)
3. To wrap up the first round, Rob has a "Brief Pet". To be exact, he must keep two gerbils in his underpants for 30 seconds.
RESULT: FAIL (too noisy virtually the whole time)
1. "Sword Fury" forces Dwayne to face the wrath of a Samurai, which includes his chair breaking.
RESULT: PASS ($1,000)
2. Time for Patrick to endure some "Bra Snaps".
RESULT: PASS ($1,400)
3. Dave's got the "Dead Helmet". He's got 20 seconds to wear a helmet that fills up with dead bugs.
1. Dwayne's second task of the day is the "Hopeful No Punch Bike".
RESULT: PASS ($2,200)
2. Dwayne gets his second challenge in a row, which is now "Stomach Melt". He has to eat a grilled cheese sandwich, which includes some cheese that's been blow-dried on a fat guy's chest.
RESULT: PASS ($3,000)
3. Rob's second game today is the "Electric Puzzle".
$1,000 Challenge: Virgil finally gets to do a challenge today- "Angry Dog".
They share in four grand!
Catch 21: With four shows to go, here are tonight's players:
Isaac (Chicago)- Filmmaker
Josh (originally from Northern California)- University of Hawaii graduate
Sara (Florida)- Apartment complex leasing agent
ROUND 1 BASE CARDS:
Isaac: QUEEN OF DIAMONDS
Josh: 5 OF DIAMONDS
Sara: 7 OF DIAMONDS
1. Whose wife recently told Vogue Magazine that Apple iPhones are banned in their house?
A: Steve Jobs' wife
B: Bill Gates' wife
Isaac: Bill Gates' wife- CORRECT (100)
CARD: ACE OF DIAMONDS- WINS ROUND 1 & VACUUM (600)
ROUND 2 BASE CARDS:
Isaac: 2 OF DIAMONDS
Josh: 6 OF DIAMONDS
Sara: ACE OF HEARTS
After the fifth question, Isaac busts Sara out of the game with no points. Here was her hand at that moment:
Sara: (AH)(5C)(6C)(KC) = 22
Let's now see the hands for the guys:
Isaac: (2D)(5S) = 7 (1,000)
Josh: (6D)(4D) = 10 (100)
6. What irrevelant, Emmy-nominated comedian was bumped from his show "Politically Incorrect" for being that way?
Isaac: Bill Maher- YOU BET (1,100)
CARD: 2 OF SPADES; PASSES TO JOHN (12)
7. If you took a real-life journey to the center of the Earth, you'd arrive at what part of the planet?
Isaac: Core- RIGHT AGAIN (1,200)
CARD: 7 OF SPADES; PASSES TO JOHN (19)
8. Superstar Larry Bird soared to three NBA championships as a member of what basketball team?
Isaac: Boston Celtics- OF COURSE (1,300)
If this next card is anything higher than a deuce, Isaac has won back-to-back rounds.
CARD: JACK OF HEARTS- WINS ROUND 2 (1,800)
CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND BASE CARDS:
Isaac: KING OF SPADES
Josh: 4 OF HEARTS
The board after two questions:
Isaac: (KS)(9H) = 19
Josh: (4H)(10S) = 14
3. Audience can't take their eyes off what Tony-winning Broadway musical about Frankie Bally and the four seasons?
A: "Moving Out"
B: "The Boys From Oz"
C: "Jersey Boys"
Isaac: "Jersey Boys"- CORRECT; FREEZES AT 19
4. 3 OF CLUBS (17)
5. JACK OF SPADES- ISAAC WINS!
TRIPLE BLACKJACK: For possibly the last time this season, a champion has all four Power Chips in play. Let's see if Isaac can take good care of them.
HAND #1: 8 OF CLUBS
HAND #2: KING OF CLUBS
HAND #3: 10 OF SPADES
1. 6 OF HEARTS; PLACES IN HAND #1 (14)
2. 7 OF HEARTS; HAND #1 CLEARED ($1,000)
3. 4 OF DIAMONDS; CHANGES IT (three left)
4. 6 OF DIAMONDS; PLACES IN HAND #2 (16)
5. 2 OF SPADES; PLACES IN HAND #2 (18)
6. KING OF HEARTS; CHANGES IT (two left)
7. 10 OF DIAMONDS; CHANGES IT (one left)
8. 7 OF CLUBS; CHANGES IT (no Power Chips left)
9. 6 OF SPADES, WHICH IS PLACED IN HAND #3 (16); GOES ON
10. 2 OF HEARTS; PLACES IN HAND #2 (20); GOES ON
11. 9 OF CLUBS- BUSTED
He should've been yesterday's champ. As a result of picking a bad day to go the distance, he leaves with $1,599 in cash & Oreck Halo.
Jeopardy!: These challengers will try to prevent Tui Sutherland from running away from the pack for a third straight game, much less repeat as champ once again:
Nina Ginocchio (Park Ridge, IL)- School librarian
Tyrone Rogers (Camp Springs, MD)- Bank teller
Tuesday's opening topics:
"The New York Times"- BOOK REVIEW
THE PUCK STOPS HERE
A MAN CALLED HORACE
POTENT POTABLES, SOUTHERN STYLE
Just before the first timeout, Sutherland finds the night's first Daily Double under the $1,000 Book Review clue with $3,600; Ginocchio has a grand and Rogers has $600. Her wager is the face value of the clue ($1,000) on this:
In 2008 the Times called this author's "The Widows of Eastwick" a "predictably ingenious sequel".
"Who is Bishop?"...incorrect. It was John Updike, making her new score $2,600. At the end of the round, with $4,200 now, she trails Ginocchio by a couple grand for the lead. Rogers, meanwhile, is $1,600 in the hole.
ATTEMPTED LACH TRASH: $400
UNATTEMPTED LACH TRASH: $1,600
TOTAL LACH TRASH: $2,000
DJ! Categories look like these:
DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT
With seven clues left, the first DD of the round is found by the champ under the $1,600 Don't Quote Me On That clue with $11,800; Ginocchio's still ahead with 15 grand and Rogers is $1,600 on the good side. Her wager this time is $2,200.
In the Bible it's not money itself but this that's "the root of all evil".
"What is Greed?"...wrong again. She was close- it was the love of money. That sends her back to $9,600. The next-to-last clue of this round has the other DD, and it's found by Ginocchio with $19,400. She's in Lock Game Territory, as the champ's still at $9,600 and Rogers is at $1,200. She wagers $2,000. To likely put this game to sleep:
This act says, "Every person who shall monopolize...trade or commerce...shall be deemed guilty of a felony".
"What is the Free Trade Act?"...it's a Daily Double Shutout. We were looking for the Sherman Anti-Trust Act, so she's no longer in LGT and this round is over.
ATTEMPTED LACH TRASH: $2,400
UNATTEMPTED LACH TRASH: $2,000
TOTAL DJ! LACH TRASH: $4,400
SCORES AFTER DOUBLE JEOPARDY!:
FJ! CATEGORY: American History.
History was made on December 1, 1955 when bus driver James Blake called the police & had this person arrested.
Tyrone Rogers agrees with me on "Who is Rosa Parks?"...yes! He doubles up to $2,400, not like it's going to matter now. The champ is also right and risked $7,801 to go to $17,401. That means she needs a mistake from Nina Ginocchio...but it doesn't happen, so Ginocchio's the new champion with $19,200 while Sutherland goes home with $27K more ($46,200).