At a place called The Getty Villa in Pacific Palisades, CA, the three finalists must each create a series of four dishes based on their own careers:
1. First food memory
2. Experience that made them decide they wanted to be a chef
3. Opening of their first restaurant
4. Their future
Joining the usual judges will be "Top Chef" hosts Padma Lakshimi & Tom Colicchio, as well as Gail Simmons and the five "Top Chef" champions. Their final shopping budget at Whole Foods Market is $1,300 within one hour. Each finalist is also assigned a sous chef:
Hubert: Laurent Pillard
Michael: Nick Ritchie
Rick: Brian Enyart
1. BBQed quail w/ Hickory House sauce, "sour" slaw & watermelon salad
2. Ahi tuna w/ Oaxacan black mole plantain tamale & Grilled Nopales
3. Achiote-marinated Cochinita Pibil / sunchoke puree & crispy pig's feet
4. Arroz a la Tumbada, tomato, jalapeno broth & chorizo "air"
1. "Baeckeoffe": Alsatian lamb, beef, pork & potato stew
2. Salmon souffle, Royal Ostera Caviar, Riesling Sauce & Choucroute Flan
3. Lamb chop w/ vegetable mousseline, blanched garlic & a vanilla-merlot sauce
4. Sweetbreads w/ Perigord truffles on scrambled eggs & spinach; Wagyu beef chucks & celery puree w/ Pinot Noir, lemongrass & ginger sauce
1. Crispy Potato Gnocchi w/ Fonduta & Ricotta Gnocchi w/ tomato sauce
2. Polenta w/ rabbit, asparagus, wild mushrooms, grilled duck & rabbit liver
3. Ginger-stuffed rouget, mango salad, fresh wasabi & Bottarga
4. Brined short ribs w/ five-onion Cavalo Nero & essence smoldering vines
It all comes down to Rick Bayless. He got a diners score of 4.5. He gets the same score from James & Jay. That means that if Gael gave him at least a 4, his charity, the Frontera Farmer Foundation, will win another $100,000...
...IT'S A 4.5, MEANING WITH 18 STARS, RICK BAYLESS IS YOUR TOP CHEF MASTER!!!! HE WAS ALSO THE HOME VIEWERS' FAVORITE OVER HUBERT KELLER, 43% TO 42%!