Catch 21: Did you know that on every season premiere to date (including yesterday's), $5,000 was won in the endgame? Let's see if one of these three contestants can go even further this afternoon:
Ike (Los Angeles)- Father of four
Tasha (Minnesota)- Recent college graduate
Garett (Long Island, NY)- Indy film maker
Round 1 Base Cards:
Ike: ACE OF DIAMONDS
Tasha: 7 OF HEARTS
Garett: 8 OF HEARTS
Today's Maingame Bonus Prize: San Francisco
1. What singer is coy about admitting an alleged nose job saying "As long as people have two eyes, they probably know the answer"?
Garett: Ashlee Simpson- ACCEPTABLE (100; her entire professional name is now Ashlee
CARD: 2 OF HEARTS; KEEPS IT (10)
2. In 1954, what two words did Congress add to the Pledge of Alliegance?
A: "One nation"
B: "With liberty"
C: "Under God"
Tasha: "Under God"- YOU BET (100)
CARD: 4 OF CLUBS; KEEPS IT (11)
3. Last June, Nelson Mandela got a "kick" out of being at home when watching the kickoff of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in what nation?
B: South Africa
Garett: South Africa- CORRECT (200)
CARD: 2 OF DIAMONDS; PASSES TO TASHA (13)
4. With its eco-friendly name, what colorful band is led by spiky-haired rocker Billy Joel Armstrong?
Tasha: Green Day- RIGHT (200)
CARD: 8 OF CLUBS- WINS ROUND 1 & TRIP (700)
Round 2 Base Cards:
Ike: 10 OF DIAMONDS
Tasha: 6 OF DIAMONDS
Garett: ACE OF CLUBS
1. Gepetto, Gilato or Gustavo- after Pinocchio becomes a real boy, he'll be able to taste what Italian ice cream?
Tasha (she jumps in almost immediately during this question): Ice cream- DOH
Ike: Gepetto- INCORRECT
Garett: Gilato- CORRECT (300)
CARD: 9 OF DIAMONDS; FREEZES AT 20
2. Talk about being "Bourne" again and again- what was the first name of the "Bourne" character played by Matt Damon in three films?
Ike: Matthew- WRONG
Tasha: Jason- RIGHT (900)
CARD: JACK OF CLUBS; KEEPS IT AFTER A LOT OF THOUGHT (16)
3. If Carmen Sandiego were visiting an elementary canal, where in the world would she be?
A: On The Moon
B: In Texas
C: In your body
Ike: In your body- YES INDEED (100)
CARD: 9 OF DIAMONDS; BUSTS TASHA
4. ACE OF HEARTS- ADVANCES TO CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND WITH TASHA (600)
Championship Round Base Cards:
Ike: KING OF HEARTS
Tasha: 4 OF HEARTS
1. Not afraid to show their feminine side, a Glamour Magazine survey found that 90% of guys watch what?
A: Home Shopping Network
B: Chick flicks
C: Makeover reality shows
Ike: Chick flicks- CORRECT
CARD: 2 OF SPADES; PASSES TO TASHA (6)
2. After a tickled fight with male staffers, what former Congressman resigned amid questions about his sexuality earlier this year?
A: Eric Massa
B: Carl Evan
C: Larry Craig
Ike: Carl- NO
Tasha: Eric- RIGHT
CARD: 5 OF CLUBS; KEEPS IT (11)
3. He may have started as an "American Gigolo", but Richard Gere is most famously associated with what religious leader?
A: The Pope
B: The Dalai Lama
C: Billy Graham
Tasha: The Dalai Lama- YES
CARD: 10 OF CLUBS- WIN!
BLACKJACK BONANZA: Like before, tonight's champion has three Burger King Power Chips.
HAND #1: ACE OF HEARTS
HAND #2: KING OF HEARTS
HAND #3: 2 OF HEARTS
1. THE OTHER RED ACE; HAND #2 CLEARED ($1K)
2. JACK OF DIAMONDS; HAND #1 CLEARED ($5K)
3. 9 OF SPADES (11)
Is she the first female player to win BB without using any PCs (thus pulling a Scott Hostetler), and has she just posted the fastest $25K win in "Catch 21" history?...
4. JACK OF HEARTS- NEW RECORD!!!!
...YES!!!!! If you saw the early promo (s) for the new season, you knew she was going to win the 25 grand, but we sure weren't expecting her to do it remarkably like this! That sends her to the Golden Gate City with $26K!
EPISODE RATING: 10!
Wipeout: This week's episode title is "Totally, Totally Inappropriate" because of a contestant named Viviana Landeros taking her pants off in the middle of the opening course, causing co-host John Henson to call her that way!
Qualifier: Unbalanced Beams over some Spiked Fenders/Sucker Punch/Moving Big Balls w/ Motivator #1/Shake-a-Later/Shape Shifter
Coach Michael Ewing (he coaches football): 4:19.7
"Tricker" Peter Ton: 3:53.9
Shehannie Wong: 5:17- DNQ
Also headed to the Double Cross (with a wrecking ball swinging over it this week) are Viviana, Whitney McKee, "Wild" Will West, Joy Grey, Russell "The Bald Eagle Scout" Smith, Tamatha Deucher, Alex Peterson, Charlie "Dr. Disco" Gray, Liz Case & Ken Wade.
Advancing to the Car Wash Spinner (which has bristles on both arms, Shamis and sponges of all sizes coming down from above, as well as soap suds in the last two rounds & that $1K brass ring in the air):
ADVANCING TO THE WIPEOUT ZONE:
$1K BONUS WINNER: Michael
THE WIPEOUT ZONE: Dreadmill Launch/Gut Buster/Sinistairs/Crank Shaft/Blades of Fury/Beater-Todder
Michael: TIME OVER
Russell's going to need a miracle here to win the 50 big ones...
...NOPE, so Charlie wins it!
EPISODE RATING: 8
BTW, this show has just been renewed for a fourth season, and will include two brand-new courses (which will result in some new WZs, a new BB Motivator and a new twist being done for the Sweeper)!