LMAD: Jacquelyn (dressed as a big bag of one-cent balloons) & Kendelle (dressed as Little Red Riding Hood) are each offered this no questions asked behind the big box- a $2,300 Panasonic 58" plasma HDTV. But neither one does. Behind Curtain #1 for Jacquelyn is...a DUD home theater. Does Kendelle do any better with Curtain #2...yes with an HD notebook package that includes a digital SLR camera worth $3,580.
Let's see if Hugo (who is a UNLV student dressed as Mickey Mouse with just the hat) can make some magic with his Blank Check Deal:
Yellow- 2 ($20)
Blue- 1 ($120)
After the first commercial break, he keeps the check...and as of right now, he's $7,120 richer! But could he have done even better by giving back the check for Curtain #3...NO, but he would've gone on a trip to San Francisco worth $2,434.
The first bankroll of the day goes to Annika, which starts with a $100 bill on the outside. She hangs on to it by passing on Curtain #2...and there was an ice carving, meaning she wins $1,000- PERFECT DEAL!
After being handed an iPhone 3GS ($699), Alanna (dressed as a Karate girl) hands control of the big box to Lindsay. On the advice of her daughter Nicole, she's turning down $600 to keep it...and she's got herself the $1K Macy's gift card. Returning to Alanna, she turns down the blue envelope that Wayne Brady's holding...there was just $300 in there. And the secret voicemail by Jonathan Mangum on the iPhone tells her that she's adding the contents of Curtain #1...which is the $13,990 SmartCar- PERFECT DEAL #2!
The first half of this episode concludes with Luz (dressed as a police officer) playing Three of a Kind for a trip to the Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort worth $10,649 (Curtain #2). She picks Cards #6, #1 & #3. In this playing, there are Aces and Deuces on the board.
1. #6- 2 OF HEARTS
2. #1- 2 OF SPADES
3. #2- ACE OF HEARTS
4. #4- ACE OF CLUBS
She can either go for the vacation or stop now with an electronics package that features a Sony portable DVD player, two pairs of Bose sound eliminator headphones, the Garmin nuvi and a $500 Best Buy gift card, all totalling $1,850. Her decision is to go for the final card...BUT THERE ARE NO MORE TWOS LEFT, RESULTING IN AN AUTOMATIC LOSS. Let's see what the other two Aces looked like:
#3- ACE OF DIAMONDS
#5- ACE OF SPADES
The second half starts with a couple named Bethen & Doug (he's dressed as a gym bag), and in the small box (Jonathan) is an antique Pegasus. In the first round of this deal, Doug gets to decide whether or not to hold onto that in order to get the appraised cash value of it or trade it for what's behind the big box. He takes the box for the team, and that antique was valued at...$225. For Round 2, Bethen rejects Curtain #1...and there were several kitchen appliances worth a total of $2,781. Finally, they decide together to keep the big box all the way out. Behind Curtain #2 this time was...a ZONK 1970s Cadillac El Dorado Convertible! They instead win...a diamond pendant from Ben Bridge Jewelers worth $3,995- PERFECT DEAL #3!
Last to trade before the Big Deal of the Day is Kristi (who's wearing an orange wig). She gets a C-note to start, and will now choose from one of two red envelopes from Alison Fiori's hands, one of which has a doubler and the other having a tripler. The envelope she picks has...the DOUBLER. After that, she can keep the two thousand dollars or try for four with the blue envelopes, at the risk of zonking out. She doesn't want to re-double her dough, nor buy what's behind Curtain #3 with it...good, because the curtain furthest to the right had a camel w/ two humps!
THE BIG DEAL: After this is over, Bethen & Doug could be driving away in the $22,945 Dodge Challenger. They pick Door #2...ABSOLUTELY NOT THERE, so they leave with a check for one thou from the Bank Vault.
Door #1: Trip to The Grenadines ($11,349)
Door #3: CAR (I picked this door)
Catch 21: As of right now to begin the fourth season, after Alfonso Ribiero has walked on stage, he stands next to Mikki Padilla during the intro (this is the case starting in the later-taped episodes like this one). This is also the longest season to date with 130 episodes! There will be some new animations (espescially the "21" and "Bust" ones) & sound effects (including the one almost every time the $25K graphic appears on the studio's big screen). With that, here are the season's first three contestants:
K.J. ? (Tallahassee, FL)
Kyle Dorne (Houston, TX)
Jennifer ? (Tampa, FL)
(Notes: The contestant name part of the podium is now capitalized amongst a moving blue/purple background, which we also see for the playing card part of the podiums. Also, the points part is now white on a still purple background.)
Round 1 Base Cards:
K.J.: 5 OF SPADES
Kyle: JACK OF HEARTS
Jennifer: QUEEN OF SPADES
Tonight's Maingame Bonus Prize: Radisson Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco
1. What Massachusetts politician has the curious distinction of being America's only left-handed gay Jewish Congressman?
A: Barney Frank
B: Harry Reid
C: Ron Paul
K.J.: Barney- CORRECT (100)
CARD: ACE OF SPADES, WHICH SHE HAS TO KEEP (6 or 16)
2. For over 45 years, what Roman Catholic nun had a habit of ministering to India's poor sick & orphans?
Jennifer: Mother Theresa- CORRECT (100)
CARD: 5 OF CLUBS- PASSES TO KYLE (15)
3. Just for the L of it, what CW show features characters such as Lisa Lang, Lex Luthor & Lois Lane?
K.J.: "Smallville"- RIGHT (200)
CARD: 2 OF CLUBS; PASSES TO JENNIFER (12)
4. According to The Knot.com, after getting engaged, how long does the average couple wait before tying the knot?
Jennifer: A year- INCORRECT
Choices for everybody else:
A: Three months
B: 13 months
C: 23 months
K.J.: 13- RIGHT (300)
CARD: 5 OF DIAMONDS- WINS ROUND 1 & TRIP (800)
Round 2 Base Cards:
K.J.: 9 OF DIAMONDS
Kyle: 4 OF CLUBS
Jennifer: 8 OF SPADES
1. The movie "Sex & The City II" includes the return of Carrie Bradshaw's ex played by what steaming hunk of man meat?
Kyle: John Corbett- CORRECT (100)
CARD: 9 OF HEARTS; PASSES TO JENNIFER (17)
2. If someone says you have nice puppies, put them in the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, held annually at which New York City arena?
Kyle: TIME OVER
K.J: Madison Square Garden- YOU BET (900)
CARD: KING OF SPADES; BUSTS JENNIFER
If Kyle scores at any point for the rest of this round, Jennifer will be the first contestant eliminated in Season 4.
3. She has "A Rod" of explaining to do- seen together since last February, what actress has been romantically linked to Alex Rodriguez in the press?
A: Jennifer Aniston
B: Jennifer Love Hewitt
C: Cameron Diaz
Kyle: Kate Hudson- NO
K.J.: Cameron Diaz- RIGHT (1,000)
CARD: 7 OF DIAMONDS; KEEPS IT (16)
4. A serong is an often brightly-colored cloth normally worn wrapped around your what?
K.J.: Waist- RIGHT AGAIN (1,100)
CARD: QUEEN OF CLUBS, WHICH IS PASSED TO K.J. (14)
5. Awww- Sandra Bullock named her adopted baby Louis because when she first saw him, she heard what Louis Armstrong song in her head?
A: "What a Wonderful World"
B: "Louie Louie"
Kyle: "What a Wonderful World"- CORRECT (200); JENNIFER ELIMINATED
CARD: 6 OF HEARTS- WINS ROUND 2 (800)
Championship Round Base Cards:
K.J.: 5 OF HEARTS
Kyle: JACK OF SPADES
1. Happy unbirthday- this year marked the 50th anniversary of the birth of an FDA-approved oral contraceptive known simply as what?
B: The Sponge
C: The Pill
Kyle: The Pill- RIGHT
CARD: 9 OF SPADES- PASSES TO K.J. (14)
2. On unofficial hiatus since 2002, the band N' SYNC may never be in sync again due to the incredible solo career of what former band member?
K.J.: Justin Timberlake- RIGHT
CARD: 7 OF CLUBS- WIN!
BLACKJACK BONANZA: The very excited K.J. has three Power Chips to work with in the first endgame of the season. Let's see if she can make it a great one. For at least the first several episodes of the season, the PCs are sponsored once again by Burger King.
HAND #1: ACE OF DIAMONDS
HAND #2: 3 OF HEARTS
HAND #3: KING OF DIAMONDS
1. 6 OF DIAMONDS; PLACES IN HAND #2 (9)
2. 4 OF HEARTS; PLACES IN HAND #2 ALSO (13)
3. 8 OF SPADES; HAND #2 CLEARED ($1K)
4. 5 OF CLUBS; CHANGES IT (two PCs left)
5. 7 OF SPADES; CHANGES THAT ALSO (one PC left)
6. KING OF CLUBS; HAND #1 CLEARED ($5K)
7. 5 OF HEARTS; CHANGES THAT (no PCs left)
8. 10 OF HEARTS (20); STOPS WITH $6K AND THE TRIP
FINAL CARD: JACK OF SPADES
(One last note: There is a new director- Bob Levy. He's best known for directing "Greed".)
CC: These are probably the last two episodes of the season (they start at 8 PM EST).
Trying to get to the Trader Liquor & Deli located 35 blocks away on 14th Street between Second & Third Avenues are Ernesto Madina (who's sporting a purple hairdo) & Margaret.
1. In the words of co-founder Jimmy Wales, what website offers access to some of all human knowledge?
Guess: Wikipedia- CORRECT ($50)
2. In 1975, what Asian capital hosted a "Thrilla" of a boxing match between Muhammad Ali & "Smokin'" Joe Frazier?
Guess: Manilla- RIGHT ($100)
3. According to legend, what premium cut of beef got its name when an English king actually knighted his savory steak?
Guess: Sirloin- RIGHT ($150)
4. Suspended five meters from the end of the pool, signal flags are primarily used to guide swimmers performing what stroke?
Guess: Backstroke- RIGHT ($200)
1. Meaning "skirmish" in Italian, what clownish, comedic character is immortalized in the lyrics of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"?
Guess: Scalamoosh- RIGHT ($300)
2. From the Galic word for "moist", what's the term for a peak-filled wetland where berries are often grown?
Guess: Bog- RIGHT ($400)
FINAL QUESTION: A staple of '80s garage bands, the ZZ-1 was a popular synthesizer made by what Japanese company?
Guess: Yamaha- INCORRECT (A: Casio)
They then go buy plenty of food and drinks with their $400.
Game #2 is an all-male game played by Carl, Dan & Patrick. They want to go 43 blocks to the St. Patrick's Cathedral. They're right on all of their $50 questions.
1. Raising privacy concerns, what feature from Google Maps has captured snapshots of scantily-clad sunbathers?
Guess: Streetview- CORRECT ($300)
RED LIGHT CHALLENGE: In the Caribbean, only five independent nations have populations that exceed one million. Name all of them.
Correct countries given: Dominican Republic, Haiti, Trinidad, Jamaica & Cuba ($550)
2. Paying homage to its national color, what Dutch bank introduced high-interest orange savings accounts a decade ago?
Street Shout-Out (Murray Hill): The guy in the light blue worker's shirt with a beard says ING.
Guess: ING- YES INDEED ($650)
3. A "lightning rod" for tourists, what Toronto structure is struck by electrical storms about 40-50 times a year?
Guess: CN Tower- RIGHT AGAIN ($750)
4. Meaning "Farwell To Thee", what famous song of the tropics was proposed by the last reigning monarch of Hawaii?
Guess: "Aloha 'Oe"- RIGHT AGAIN ($850)
SOLE $200 QUESTION: Primarily a venue for Martial Arts, what legendary Tokyo arena has hosted concerts by Bob Dylan, The Beatles & Cheap Trick?
Guess: The Tokyo Dome- NO (A: Budokan)
For $1,700, here's their Video Bonus Question:
VIDEO BONUS: Nicknamed "sea canaries", these cold water whales are known for their high-pitched twittering and their hypersocial nature. Sharing its name with a valuable variety of sturgeon, what's this whale species?
They guess Beluga...and they've won the $1,700!
But that's bad news for Holly & Roger- while in the rain at night trying to make a 32-block trip to the Amish Market, after being right on their first three queries, their first strike on a WORTHLESS SSO in Clinton results in a 1-3 effort the rest of the way and costing them $250.
The opening game's players here are Karen & Mike. Their 31-block cab ride could take them somewhere on 51st & Ninth. They also run the table in the $50 Round.
1. While a male is a Colt and a female is a Filly, what catch-all term refers to any horse that's less than a year old?
Guess: Yearling- STRIKE ONE (A: Foal)
2. After his documents were stolen, Iranian National representative Mehran Karimi Nasseri spent 18 years in Terminal 1 of what European airport?
Guess: Charles de Gaulle- CORRECT ($300)
3. A satire of the British government, what Gilbert & Sullivan Operetta is set in the fictional Japanese town of Titipu?
Guess: "The Mikado"- RIGHT ($400)
4. Called the Bivy Bag for short, what lightweight sack is a minimalist alternative to the more traditional tent?
Guess: Bivouac Bag- YES INDEED ($500)
SOLE $200 QUESTION: Known as "The Mambo King", what drummer's 2000 death was marked by three official days of mourning in Puerto Rico?
Guess: Tito Puente- WINS $700
Here's their final Q worth $1,400:
FINAL VIDEO BONUS OF THE SEASON: An insect's answer to puberty, this is the stage of development in which the larvae of a butterfly becomes a full-fledged adult. What's the term for this intermediate stage in the Metamorphic life cycle?
They nail Pupa for the 14 Benjamins!
Allison, Carl & Joey next play a 36-block game to B & H Photo. Again, the $50 Round is swept.
1. Comparing steak to a speckled stone, what's the term for the pattern of intro-muscular fat in a cut of meat?
Guess: Marbling- RIGHT ($300)
2. Accessed through iTunes, what store for iPhone enthusiasts celebrated its billionth download last year?
SSO #3 (Chelsea): Outside the Nisos Restaurant, the two guys they ask confirm their gut instinct of The App Store.
Guess: The App Store- RIGHT ($400)
3. Immortalized in the musical "Grease", what dance features thigh-slapping, fist-pounding and the classic Hitchhike move?
Guess: Greased Lightning- STRIKE ONE (A: Hand Jive)
4. Similar to a kidneystone, a rhinolith is a deposit of mineral salt that gets painfully lodged in what part of the body?
Guess: Gallbladder- STRIKE TWO (A: Nose)
RLC #2 (and possibly the last one of Season 7): Fodor's publishes a travel guide called "The Complete African Safari Guide". Name the five countries listed on its cover.
Correct countries given: South Africa, Kenya, Botswana, Tanzania & Namibia ($650)
SOLE $200 QUESTION: Sometimes known as juice, what Yiddish slang term refers to the fee of booking charges for taking a bet?
Mobile Shout-Out: Allison calls Jeff, who thinks it's the Squeeze.
Guess: Squeeze- LOSS (A: Vigorish, aka the Vig)
The last players of the season are James & Stephie. They want their dinner at the Spice Thai Restaurant on 13th & University 35 blocks away to be paid for by this show, but their MSO is used on their second $50 Q, which is:
Lending its name to an "Oliver Stone" movie, what small military unit typically consists of 18 to 44 grunts?
Person called: James' friend Shawn
Guess: Platoon- CORRECT ($100)
They get their first strike on their last $50 query about the location of the NFL's Cincinnatti Bengals (they locked in Minneapolis instead). After their third $100 Q, this comes their way:
FINAL RLC THIS SEASON: As of last year, name five of the Top 6 gas & oil companies that were listed in the Fortune 500.
Correct companies given: Shell & BP (Not said: Chevron, Conaco-Phillips, Exxon-Mobil & Total)
On their final Q worth a Benjamin, they use their SSO in Union Square. Let's see what they have to respond on:
After answering a NASA newspaper ad in 1978, who became the first female American in space?
Gender of the two chosen helpers: Female
Guess (within the last seconds for them): Sally Ride- RIGHT ($550)
FINAL Q OF THE SEASON WORTH $200: Sometimes called a Swede, what root vegetable is paired w/ potatoes in the Scottish dish Neeps & Tatties?
Guess: Parsnip- NO (A: Rutabega)
And with that, they end the season with a $550 win.
8: "Catch 21"
7: Everything else