21: This episode was taped before yesterday's; the last one of the season's Episode 4087. Today's panel:
Amanda ? (Glendale, CA)- 21-year-old waitress
Chris Rubio (Napa Valley)- Wine business worker/former 4-H member
Jessica ? (Little Rock)- Recently admitted to Columbia University
Round 1 Base Cards:
Amanda: 5 OF CLUBS
Chris: JACK OF HEARTS
Jessica: THE OTHER BLACK FIVE
Maingame Bonus Prize: Reno trip
1. Possibly because she came out as a proud Lesbian, whose 2009 HBO stand-up special was titled "I'm a Be Me"- Kathy Griffin, Rosie O'Donnell or Wanda Sykes?
Amanda: Ellen DeGeneres
Jessica: Wanda (100)
CARD: 3 OF HEARTS; PASSES TO CHRIS (13)
2. Indoor tanning, botox or beer- which of these things we can't live without isn't taxed by the federal government?
Amanda: Botox- CORRECT (100)
CARD: 8 OF DIAMONDS, WHICH IS PASSED TO JESSICA (13)
3. If you're watching TV & see a guy getting stiff in Las Vegas, he's likely on a slab in the moor on what CBS show?
Jessica: "CSI" (200)
CARD: 7 OF HEARTS- FREEZES AT 20
4. For winning a radio contest, who got to sing w/ Shania Twain before skateboarding her way to fame w/ hits like "Complicated" & "I'm With You"?
Amanda: Avril Lavigne (200)
CARD: 9 OF HEARTS, WHICH BUSTS CHRIS
5. 9 OF DIAMONDS (14)
6. ACE OF SPADES (15)
7. QUEEN OF HEARTS- JESSICA WINS FIRST ROUND (700)
Round 2 Base Cards:
Amanda: 6 OF SPADES
Chris: 7 OF DIAMONDS
Jessica: JACK OF CLUBS
1. PETA wouldn't have been happy when what man, born William Cody, became famous throughout the American West as a bison hunter?
Amanda: Buffalo Bill (300)
CARD: 6 OF CLUBS; PASSES TO JESSICA (16)
2. As the seductive Natasha Romanoff, Scarlett Johansson is hot enough to melt steel in what 2010 movie sequel?
Amanda: "Iron Man 2"- RIGHT (400)
CARD: JACK OF DIAMONDS, WHICH BUSTS JESSICA
3. If Joe Biden puts his foot in his mouth, he might taste the world-famous shoes from what Italian designer- Bruno Magli, Hugo Boss or Oscar de la Renta?
Chris: Hugo- NO
Amanda: Bruno (500)
CARD: 10 OF CLUBS, WHICH GETS PASSED TO CHRIS (17)
4. Here's to the bartender; according to Forbes, what's the most frequently-ordered cocktail in America- margarita, martini or Bloody Mary?
Amanda: Margarita- RIGHT AGAIN (600)
CARD: 4 OF SPADES (10)
5. Woman's Day, Glamour or National Geographic- which magazine has piled up on coffee tables since 1888?
Amanda: National Geographic (700)
CARD: 2 OF DIAMONDS; PASSES TO CHRIS (12)
6. Back when The White House was sexy, The Clintons raced a raft of scandals, including a real-estate controversy known as what- Blackwater, Whitewater or Goldwater?
Amanda: Blackwater- WRONG
Chris: Whitewater (100)- FREEZES; ZONK
7. ACE OF CLUBS- WINS ROUND & TRIP
Championship Round Base Cards:
Amanda: 2 OF HEARTS
Jessica: 10 OF SPADES
1. Though they originally weren't joined at the hip, Siamese cats originated in what country formerly known as Siam- Vietnam, Thailand or India?
Amanda: Thailand- YES
CARD: 10 OF DIAMONDS; PASSES TO JESSICA (20)
2. With his paintings of Campbell's Soup cans & Coca-Cola bottles, Andy Warhol's most associated w/ what art movement- Dotta, Surrealism or Pop Art?
Jessica: Andy Warhol
Amanda: Pop Art
CARD: JACK OF SPADES- WIN!
BLACKJACK BONANZA W/ THREE POWER CHIPS:
HAND #1: 7 OF HEARTS
HAND #2: 4 OF CLUBS
HAND #3: 6 OF DIAMONDS
1. 8 OF HEARTS; PLACES IN HAND #2 (12)
2. 5 OF CLUBS, WHICH IS PLACED IN HAND #3 (11)
3. 8 OF DIAMONDS (two PCs left)
4. JACK OF SPADES- HAND #3 CLEARED ($1K)
5. 3 OF CLUBS; PLACES IN HAND #1 (10)
6. KING OF HEARTS (one PC left)
7. 3 OF SPADES (no PCs left)
8. 7 OF DIAMONDS; PLACES IN HAND #2 (19; could've possibly won $25K by now)
9. ACE OF CLUBS- HAND #1 CLEARED ($5K); BAILOUT
FINAL CARD: 4 OF SPADES
HAND #1: (7H)(8H)(3C)(3S)
HAND #2: (4C)(KH)(7D)
HAND #3: (6D)(5C)(JS)
TNG: Before they can watch their other Thursday night guilty pleasures on TV, they've got to expose some of theirs, if applicable:
John & Meredith (who got married on a Friday the 13th)
Frank & Dolores (who do everything lefty)
Adam & Cheryl (who proposed over the phone)
1. If your wife put a pencil underneath her breasts, would it fall or stay in place?
2. "When my wife wants to _________________, she does NOT know the meaning of the word 'no'."
3. When your wife's getting ready for bed, what's the most annoying part of her nighttime routine?
JOHN & MEREDITH:
1. Fall- YES (5)
2. Make whoopee- ARGUE
3. Doesn't know how to lay still- GETTING UP & DOWN (10)
FRANK & DOLORES:
1. Stay in place- YES (5)
2. Make whoopee- HAVE SEX (10)
3. Wraps her hair up in the bed- FLOSSING NEXT TO HIM IN THE BEDROOM
ADAM & CHERYL:
1. Stay in place- YES (5)
2. Shop- SHOPPING (10)
3. Clipping her toenails before bed- FALLING ASLEEP TOO QUICKLY
SECOND HONEYMOON: Dreams Rivera Cancun Resort & Spa (courtesy of Mexico.com)
1. When your husband's mind wanders off during sex, where do you think it most often wanders to?
the nest Question of the Night: The first time you slow-danced w/ your husband, was his right hand on your back, waist or butt?
3. What makes your husband more like a toddler- he can't control his temper, he's a super-picky eater or he's a bit too attached to his mommy (this should've been the first question of the round, while the question before that should've been third)?
30-POINT BONUS QUESTION: "My husband's a world-class expert in _________ & he would say I'm the woman to ask when it comes to __________."
MEREDITH & JOHN:
1. Sports (especially the Yankees)- CARDIO
2. Butt- BACK
3. Attached- ATTACHED (20)
BONUS: Eating & arguing- COOKING & THE BILLS
DOLORES & FRANK:
1. Pornography- MORE SEX (20)
2. Butt- BUTT (30)
3. Picky- TEMPER
BONUS: Making love & love-making skills- MAKING LOVE (both)(45)
CHERYL & ADAM:
1. His schedule- WORK (20)
2. Back- BACK (30)
3. Attached- ATTACHED (40)
BONUS: Just being a wonderful husband & planning stuff- HISTORY & SHOPPING
Consolation Prize: Tickets to Cirque du Soleil's "Zarkana"
CC: Tonight's show titled "The Fox & The Grapes" leads off w/ a 34-block DOUBLE RIDE to Bella Blu on Lexington between 70th & 71st; taking it are Chris, Jezeel, Olivia & little Timothy.
1. On its 103rd floor, what famous Midwestern skyscraper boasts a deck w/ views of Indiana, Michigan & Wisconsin?
Guess: Sears Tower ($100)(it's actually the Willis Tower now)
2. During The Cold War, what Cincinnati MLB team added the word "Legs" to its name to avoid any ties to Communism?
Guess: Reds ($200)(23 blocks left)
3. Abbreviated A.C., what mild-mannered radio format features mainstream music, minus the Rock & Hip-Hop?
Guess: Audio Current (A: Adult Contemporary)(18 blocks remaining)
4. Effective against "Space Invaders", what video game controller was allegedly invented by a French aviator for use in the cockpit?
Guess: Joystick ($300)
1. What British industrial designer cleaned up in the 1990s w/ the introduction of his bagless vacuum cleaner?
Guess: Dyson- YES INDEED ($500)
2. In the Autism community, what fictional, blue steam engine's known for helping kids to understand facial expressions?
XX (A: Thomas the Tank Engine)(five blocks to go)
3. Until 2003, food's made w/ what fat substitute required to bear a warning about possible abdominal cramping?
Guess: Olean ($700)
4. In which Ernest Hemingway novella does a senior citizen named Santiago single-handedly kill a slew of sharks?
Guess: "Old Man in the Sea"- RIGHT ($900)
Sole $400 Question: An adviser to George Washington, what famed French general was finally made an honorary U.S. citizen in 2002?
LOSS (A: Lafayette)
Michelle, Christine & Michael have 36 blocks to reach Third Avenue between 27th & 28th. They start w/ $200.
1. A staple of many similes, what four-letter word was named English's most-overused in a 2010 CBS News poll?
Guess: Like ($300)
2. Also called the scapula, what triangular bone in mammals was used as a shovel in Prehistoric times?
Guess: Breastbone- X (A: Shoulderblade)(18 blocks to target)
3. Based in Scottsdale, AZ, what Chinese restaurant chain incorporates the initials of Paul Fleming into its name?
Guess: P.F. Chang's ($400)
4. Second in size to London, what British city's residents are affectionately known as Brummies (& is also a city in the U.S. state of Alabama)?
Guess: Birmingham- RIGHT ($500)(eight blocks to spare)
1. Originating w/ the Pennsylvanian Dutch, what pork-based mush is said to contain all leftover parts of the pig, except the oink?
Guess: Crapple- XX (A: Scrapple)(three blocks to go)
2. Analogous to Limbo, what three-word term refers to the treacherous territory between enemy trenches in WWI?
Guess: No Man's Land- RIGHT ($700)
FQ: Giving him the initials ONUG, an Illinois man changed his name to what four-word phrase from "The Pledge of Allegiance" last year?
Guess: "One Nation Under God" ($900)
VIDEO BONUS: They say that size doesn't matter, but scientists think these monkeys use their noses, the longest of any primates, to attract mates; founded in the jungles of Borneo, what's the name of this endangered species of monkey?
Michael doesn't monkey around in saying Proboscis for $1,800!
On a 39-block voyage by Deacon & Holly to Second Avenue & 13th...after a perfect first round comes back-to-back strikes in Round 2. Just before their $200 Round:
RED LIGHT CHALLENGE: According to Business Week's 2009 rankings, seven of the 100 best global brands are based in Japan. Name four of those seven.
Correct brands given: Honda, Toyota, Sony & Panasonic ($650)
Others: Canon, Lexus & Nintendo
That's their last right answer...& they strike out on said Aesop's fable on their next query despite a Mobile Shout-Out by Holly to Mitchell.
J!: Will Jeff Amoros add even more to the big total he accumulated at the expense of the challengers I'm about to display?
Rachel Winer (Burlington, VT)- Graduate student in Teaching
Meg Price (Stillwater, OK)- Professor of Medieval Literature
The First Six:
SITCOM SPOUSES (a couple's listed & the show must be IDed)
AIRCRAFT CARRIER NAMES
THE BARE FACTS
THE 10 COMMANDMENTS (according to the King James version of The Bible)
THERE WILL BE "RAM"IFICATIONS
The early lead's w/ Jeff at $2,400, followed by Rachel w/ $2K & Meg at $1,400. Immediately following a Triple Stumper on the middle Mammals answer that drops him to $2,200, Jeff picks off the Daily Double under the $800 clue on Aircraft Carrier Names; he's trailing Rachel for first place by just $200. To double up to $4,400, here's his clue:
This adjective meaning "courageous" is the name of a carrier that's now a (floating) historic landmark.
"What is heroic?"...NO, the actual word was "intrepid", also the name of a former Dodge automobile. But he still comes back to end the round tied for first w/ Rachel at $4,200 per person; Meg's trailing the two of them by only $600 while picking in Double Jeopardy! first.
Under further review on said attempted TS, though, a fourth definition credits Jeff w/ an extra $1,200 & sole possession of the lead for now.
LACH TRASH (all unattempted): $1,800 (Sitcom Spouses)
THE CON FILM FESTIVAL
GILBERT & SULLIVAN
FRENCH CROSSWORD CLUES
Meg scores a DD in the center of the Gilbert & Sullivan department; she has $6,400 & is $600 off Rachel's lead, while Jeff's slightly slipped to $4,600. To give Meg the lead w/ an additional $1,600:
A perennial favorite, it's set in a rather inauthentic version of Japan.
"What is 'The Mikado'?"...$8K & the lead are hers. Jeff closes out On Wisconsin w/ the last remaining DD & an $800 deficit between him & Rachel's $12,200; Meg has 10 times that deficit in score money ($8K). Jeff makes this answer worth its face value:
You can polish off this clue if you know that Frank Lloyd Wright designed the headquarters for this company in Racine.
"What is Pledge?"...wrong. He was on the right track- it was Johnson Wax.
ATTEMPTED LACH TRASH: $4,800
SOLE UNATTEMPTED TS: $2K (French Crossword Clues)
TOTAL DJ! LACH TRASH: $6,800
FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY: Coins of the World.
50-cent pieces issued in 2003 by this country depict Frodo, Gandalf, Gollum, Sauron & Aragorn.
Meg Price wrote down "What is New Zealand?"...that's it for a final total of $12,201. Jeff Amoros...is also right to finish at $20,001, but it'll be Rachel Winer not complaining about this result- she's the new champion w/ $22,200. Jeff leaves w/ $32,801.
L: Since it was so early in the tapings at the time of this episode, Bill should've been rusty while hosting a game between these two newlywed teams:
Haven & M.M.- Three months
Adam & Sharice- Nine months
H & M's First Board:
A & S's First Board:
First Ball Pulls:
H & M: STOPPER
A & S: 23
A pair of camcorders will be awarded for at least the first Prize Ball of the night.
#1 (A & S): A last-ditch effort
1. E V E R Y
2. E F F O R T
AFTER BONUS LETTER: E J E _ _
H & M: E J E C T ($100)
2. 22 (88)
#2 (H & M): I've hit this w/ a golf club
1. A N K L E ($200)
1. 35 (39)
#3 (H & M): My cousin once found these at a cheap motel
1. F R A M E
2. F A U L T
3. F L O A T- TIME OVER
AFTER BL: F L E A _
A & S: F L E A S ($100)
1. WINS CAMCORDERS
#1 (A & S): A major complaint
1. B A U L K
2. B I T C H ($300)
2. 82 (44)
#2 (A & S): Full-figured
1. H E F T Y
2. H R D Y Y
AFTER BL: H I _ _ Y
H & M: H I P P Y ($400)
1. 23 (64)
2. WINS CAMCORDERS
#3 (H & M): How people describe my act
1. S I L L Y
2. S H A M E
3. S O R R Y
4. S A S S Y
FINAL TRY: S O U R S
AFTER BL: S U _ _ S
A & S: S U C K S ($500)
1. 22 (52)
2. 77 (07)
#4 (A & S): The more you drink, the worse it is
1. L I C K S
2. L I P P Y
3. L I T E S
4. L I B E L
FT: L I V E L
AFTER BL: L I V E _
H & M: L I V E R ($600)
2. 14 (44)
#1 (A & S): Can get way too wound-up
1. C L O C K ($1K)
#2 (H & M): A security measure
1. G R E A T
2. G U A R D ($1,100)
2. 64- LINGO ($1,600)
H & M's Other Board:
FINAL WORD (A & S): It's as clear as black & white
1. P I T C H
2. P I L L S
3. P E A C E
4. P I T A S
FT: P I N T O
AFTER BL: P R _ _ _
H & M: P R I N T- WIN! ($2,100)
BL: Haven & M.M. solve WIMPS in three tries, but get stopped by a toughie in TRYST- they leave w/ $4,200 in addition to their electronics.
W: According to this episode's title, it's "At Full Tilt".
Qualifier: Replacing the Lawn Mowers on this course tonight is some kind of Pinball machine; in the Kitchen's a cantina.
Vanessa "Janet Reno" Tavares: QUITS ALMOST IMMEDIATELY
Lester "Captain Kangaroo" Avendano: 6:48.2
Lisa "Crazy Driver" Franklin: 8:11.9
Toya "Super Pumped" Aladonas: 7:20.6
The other 10 Scareousel riders are Lida Cardenas, Alan Paquin, Michael "The Law Dog" Williams, Christina Noriega, Veronica "The Ballroom Babe" Chernyavska, Sarah "Circus Freak" Cooper, Stefanie Trutanic, Randy "The Elton Johnny Act" Retama, Molly Schnider & Max "French Panda" Fleury.
Advancing to Super Tramp:
ADVANCING TO THE WIPEOUT ZONE:
WZ: W/ 5:22.65 to start this round, tonight's big winner is...
...the circusy Sarah, making her the first female champ of the Summer! Randy went last.
7: "Catch 21", "Jeopardy!", "The Newlywed Game" & "Wipeout"
6: "Ca$h Cab" & "Lingo"